Connect

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Product Review: Merlot Natural Grape Seed Moisturizer

The reason why I decided to try out this new moisturizer was because I noticed my face was getting really oily and the moisturizer I was currently using was not helping with my oiliness at all! It was actually making it a lot worse. I purchased this moisturizer with the help of Christiana Divine because she also uses this moisturizer and it seems to work wonders on her skin.


The reason why I'm using this moisturizer for my oily skin is because it's not like your typical creamy moisturizers that sometimes leaves your face feeling sticky. This moisturizer has a very light consistency and it absorbs quickly. This moisturizer reminds me of Clinique's Moisture Surge which has a gel-creme like consistency.


What it is: MERLOT is made of natural red grape seed polyphenals. It offers sensational antioxidant properties thereby helping to inhibit the aging process. MERLOT is fragrance free, non-oily, absorbs quickly.


AVAILABLE AT: Walgreens
PRICE: $15 USD
SIZE: 4 fl oz (118 ml)
VALUE FOR PRICE: 4/5
EASE OF USE: 4/5
PACKAGING: 3/5
MEETS EXPECTATIONS: 3/5
OVERALL USE: 3/5


PROS:
Comes in a big jar with a lot of product inside it. Can last you a long time!
Has SPF 15
Has sort of a pleasant soapy smell to it which isn't horrible. (Others describe it as grapefruit but I beg to differ)
Non-oily which is ideal for people who already have oily skin.
Leaves your skin feeling hydrated, refreshed, and smooth.
Can be used day or night.
Absorbs quickly
Made my skin less oily.
Has anti-aging antioxidants
It comes with a travel size container when you purchase it. (15 ml)

CONS:
I felt that it absorbed TOO MUCH of my skin's natural oils that it kind of made my skin a little dry around my chin.
My nose gets the most oily and this did maintain the oiliness around there but it was still slightly oily.
Because it's so light and absorbs almost like water, I feel like I had to put on more to feel like I'm getting enough moisture.
The packaging says it's fragrance free but it's not.
Having to dip your finger into the jar isn't very sanitary.
After my first night of using this product I grew about 3 pimples on my forehead but they've subsided quickly after that.
More ideal for people who have oily skin. (can also be a plus!)

OVERALL:
I have only been using this moisturizer for about a week. So far I like it, but I don't love it. It has its up and its downs and I'm going to continue using because it does a much better job at maintaining the oiliness on my face than my previous moisturizer. The only irritation I've had with this product was the dry patchiness around my chin but I'm not sure if this is caused by the moisturizer. I also let my boyfriend use the small travel size container that it comes with because he CLAIMS he has oily skin. But he said it left his face feeling irritated.

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT? Yes only if you have oily skin.
WOULD I PURCHASE AGAIN? As much as I like this product, I have to love it before I consider repurchasing. And so far this product is just okay for me.



DISCLAIMER: The products reviewed on this blog are based on the opinions and experiences of the author. This product was purchased by the author and in no way was this review influenced by the company of the product.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for this review :)
    Amazing job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My face is extremely oily. Maybe I should try this stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your honest review, I will have to skip this, I have dry skin and I don't want a product that absorbs my skin's natural oil :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't used the daytime moisturizer that you have as none of my Walgreens have samples and I refuse to buy unless I can sample it.

    What I have been using is the Merlot Night Cream which I got 2 jars for $4 each. One of my Walgreens put just the night cream on clearance last year so I snagged what was left.

    I have extremely oily skin yet this winter, my skin has been really dry and flaky due to the dry air both inside and outside. I ended up using the night cream and found that my skin didn't get very oily! I'm sure I can only get away with this during the winter as that cream would be too heavy for summer use.

    I will say that using this cream both during the day and night has totally made my skin more plump and smoother!

    Still, I want to try the daytime cream with SPF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I've used this before. I liked it a lot, but I found it worked better for me in the summer. I have weird combo skin. Thanks for your review! Btw, love the new nose :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still on the hunt for a good moisturizer for my finicky skin. Maybe this one will be it? *crosses fingers* Thanks for the review! I'm going to consider getting this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, i forgot to mention. i use this with an HA serum underneath and that helps to pump up the moisture it provides. i haven't used it by itself so i can't comment how it works by itself, but using an HA serum with it is what really works for me. =]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice review.. This product won't work for me as I have very dry skin.. >.<

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have oily skin so I gotta try this. Thankss! Oh I just checked your formspring and an error page came up. Did you delete it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have oily skin so I gotta try this..Thanks!! I just checked your formspring and an error page came up. Did you delete it? Please don't cause I finally came up with a question to ask you haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bonnie - I actually disabled my account for the meantime because I didn't feel like answering questions at the moment but it is back up and running again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i agree this moisturizer is great for oily skin! i love this product!!! =) i hope u do find ur HG moisturizer!!

    ps
    do get the 130!! it is love!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the review :] I'm always looking around for moisturizers for oily skin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh I wonder if they have this product in Canada! I love Clinique's moisturizer, especially the texture of it but I don't like spending so much on skincare products.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't get in the UK. Just wonder if anyone know if it's available in UK that I've miss spotting

    ReplyDelete
  16. The product review of Merlot natural garpe is given here. Read to know more

    ReplyDelete