Connect

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

DIY: No Heat Beachy Waves

When I was a teenager I was obsessed with my flat iron. It became such an essential part of my everyday routine that the only hairstyle I would ever rock was straight hair! And back then, the straighter the better! I still rely on my my flat iron most of the time but these days I learned to embrace the natural waves, curls, and kinks in my hair. My hair isn't naturally curly but it is wavy, coarse, and sometimes poofy. I try not to straighten my hair too much and I hardly ever blow dry my hair, but I know that if I don't do anything to my natural hair it will look untamed and really messy.

Every once in a while I like to add twist braids to both sides of my 85% dry hair after I wash it. If you don't know what a twist braid is, it's basically grabbing two strands of hair and you're literally just twisting them together. It's so easy! If you don't know how to do a "French" twist braid, you can just divide your hair into sections and twist them and you'll get the same results. The great thing about it being so easy to do is the outcome of really pretty loose waves, or what I like to call, beachy waves.

I leave them in overnight and the results truly speak for themselves. I love it because it looks like I actually put in the extra effort to get my hair to look this way AND I didn't cause any damage by applying any heat to it. So it's a win win situation if you ask me. :)

Tips to achieve this hairstyle:
1. Twist the braids really tight because they'll come loose. As long as you start off with tight twists, you'll be fine.
2. Make sure your hair is damp, the waves will hold up better.
3. Once you let your hair down apply a light mist of flexible hairspray to keep the waves lasting all day.
4. Remember the small, tighter, and thinner the twists, the more curly your hair will be. It all depends on your personal preference.








11 comments:

  1. love it girl....ive been twisting my hair into a bung and letting it loose for a nice wavy style as well...but def. will have to try it your way...*so jealous that my hair isnt as long as yours tho...but its getting there...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow please tell me how you got our hair this color. Like what are the steps and how do you maintain it? I love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks super pretty! defo have to try it out :) also im in love with your hair colour! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! Great tips - now I just need to grow my hair longer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, your hair is just perfect. Teach us how to braid like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That red in your hair is gorgeous! Ima have to try the twists instead of braiding it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had your long hair! Wow, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer to twist my hair instead of braiding it as the results look more natural on me, but I love the results on you! And your hair color is simply GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such beautiful hair & I love the waves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BEAUTIFUL HAIR, I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete